PERMANENT - FULL TIME
REPORTS TO: PRINCIPAL COUNSEL
Square Enix is seeking a junior attorney to help manage legal matters for its video game development and publishing operations in Montreal and throughout the Americas. The position holder will report directly to the Senior Counsel here in Montreal. We work on the bleeding edge of technology with some of the greatest IPs in the world such as Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Marvel’s Avengers.
- Draft, negotiate, review and interpret a wide variety of contracts including vendor agreements, distribution contracts, software licenses, content licenses, EULAs, NDAs, and others.
- Review content of games and marketing materials for copyright, trademark, publicity or any other issues.
- Provide guidance in internal labour relations.
- Partner with business executives to discuss and implement best practices in the digital world, and to creatively solve issues.
- Provide legal guidance throughout the company to minimize legal risk while helping teams accomplish their goals.
- Research and analyze legal issues, and especially keep abreast of new and changing laws affecting the internet (e.g., data privacy, etc.).
EXPERIENCES & QUALIFICATIONS
- Active member in good standing with the Quebec Bar;
- Knowledge of Canadian common law;
- 1 - 3 years of relevant experience required;
- Knowledge in several legal domain such as digital law, intellectual property, business law and labour relations;
- Strong familiarity with trends in the video game/entertainment industries and online/mobile/digital worlds (an asset).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French and English, able to adapt styles depending on context;
- The ability to concisely distill and summarize complex ideas;
- Detail oriented without losing sight of the big picture;
- Good organization and the ability to effectively prioritize tasks;
- Smart, eager and proactive with reliable judgment and a great sense of humor, a strong asset!
MOTIVATIONS & INTEREST
Passion and ambition for video games!