Animation | Montréal, Québec, Canada
PERMANENT - FULL-TIME
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR TECHNICAL ANIMATION
- Assess technical risks and coding support for the prototyping system;
- Compile and present reports suggesting technical solutions or new pipelines;
- Provide toolkits to improve and facilitate the work process, such as scripting functionality (Python, MEL, MAXscript, etc.), documentation process, and 'How To' Wikis;
- Have a good understanding of character skinning and rigging concepts;
- Maintain day-to-day technical efficiency of pipeline work and be the "go-to" person for animators;
- Investigate "specialized" problems for animation such as partial rag-doll mix improvements, real-time fabric simulation, etc;
- Support due diligence production processes (e.g. motion capture);
- Provide support on the compilation and preparation of performance/motion capture "dope sheets", while participating in and overseeing motion capture shoots, as well as the delivery and implementation of the resulting data into the game systems;
- Teach animators the use of technical and up-to-date editing features in updated software used in production;
- Mentor and support less experienced animators as needed;
- Perform some animation when required for production.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- 3 to 5 years experience in the 3D animation industry, preferably in video games;
- Completion of at least one video game production, preferably next generation;
- Training in 3D animation, 2D education is an asset;
- Although excellent knowledge of Maya is preferred, experience with other 3D software is acceptable.
- Excellent understanding of the technical aspects and caveats of game animation;
- Ability to connect and communicate with programmers;
- Experience in character configuration, skinning and rigging an asset;
- Design and prototyping of animation systems;
- Understanding of animation in game development production;
- Reasonable manual and digital dexterity;
- Good command of spoken and written English;
- Experience in productive scripting is an asset;
- Knowledge of facial animation systems in game development is an asset;
- Extensive experience with Motionbuilder or equivalent is an asset;
- Experience with game engines such as Unreal, Unity or other is a strong asset.
- Strong sense of ethics, initiative and most importantly humility required;
- Must be comfortable working in a team environment focused on continuous improvement - learning and sharing knowledge;
- Maturity to give and receive constructive criticism is expected;
- A desire to push the boundaries of video game animation is required.
MOTIVATION & INTERESTS:
- Ambition and passion for video games are essential!