Animation Technical Director
Animation | Montréal, Québec, Canada
- Participate in the creative development of the project;
- Assume responsibility for the development of tools and a script library;
- Work in close collaboration with the other animators on the creation of their animation with the available tools;
- Work and cooperate with all departments in the game development;
- Offer the Core Direction team technical solutions to raise the quality bar of the end product;
- Work closely with the Motion Caption studio team to make sure that the pipeline is clear and efficient between Mocap sessions and the data processing once rendered in animation;
- Support the Mocap team in the Mocap data processing by giving training, developing automation tools, etc;
- Technical ownership of the Motion Capture pipeline for character creation and their integration in the game.
Experience and qualifications:
- Diploma in 3D animation or equivalent/experience;
- 8+ years experience in 3D animation in the video game industry, at least 1 year as a Technical Director Animation;
- Minimum of 2 published titles; Next generation experience a plus;
- 2 + years experience in scripting or programming (Maya Tool Scripting a plus;
- Experience in problem solving related to tools or scripts in a quick and efficient way;
- Excellent capacity to organize and structure own work;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Working knowledge of hardware platform limitations;
- Knowledge in Animation software including Motionbuilder and Maya;
- Knowledge of animation pipelines (cinematic and in-game);
- Knowledge and experience in building animation trees;
- Excellent knowledge in processing and retargeting motion capture data;
- Ability to perform multiple tasks;
- Excellent ability to give and receive guidance;
- Excellent technical knowledge of video game publishers and stages of production;
- Excellent communication skills and a facility to illustrate their ideas are essential;
- Knowledge of character creation in a technical sense, a must (including rigging, skinning, etc).
- Demonstrate leadership when collaborating with the various trades (design, animation and programming);
- Ability to work within a team focused on continuous improvement;
- Ability to share knowledge and learn from others;
- The maturity to give and receive constructive criticism is expected;
- The drive to push the boundaries of videogame animation standards is a must.
Motivation and interests:
- Ambition and passion for videogames are essential!