Design | Montréal, Québec, Canada
PERMANENT - FULL-TIME
REPORTS TO: LEAD GAME DESIGNER
- Participate in meetings with the teams, set up brainstorming sessions, promote collaboration with the various directors to carry out a vision and create robust and innovative design concepts;
- Work with the Lead Designer and Directors to ensure that all Game Design related systems meet the needs of the project and make significant progress demonstrable on screen through rapid prototypes;
- Ensure close communication with programmers and artists in order to set clear goals as well as highlight the specific needs of different game systems to provide regular updates to all related systems;
- Design and adapt the different characteristics and systems to the production needs, the technical constraints of the project and the overall gameplay objectives, all under minimal supervision;
- Document the game mechanics and the various functionalities quickly, clearly and concisely in order to serve as a resource for the other professions in the project;
- Help identify essential tasks and work with production and design teams to allocate resources to support each system.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- +2 years of experience in the video game industry as a game designer;
- DEC or Bachelor in game design or related experience;
- Experience on an AAA production preferred.
- Experience in writing design specifications and tuning specific game systems such as AI, combat and player control;
- Ability to conceptualize, present and execute ideas in a given time frame, while actively participating in the design and technical problem solving in the engine;
- Possess good analytical mind with the ability to simplify game design as well as systems in order to document them;
- Good understanding of the specific constraints of the system as well as the architecture of a game engine and its customizable tools;
- Hold an organized approach to problem solving and time management while meeting strict production deadlines;
- Knowledge of Unreal 4 is an asset.
- Excellent communication skills and an ease in illustrating ideas are essential;
- Ability to parallelize one's work (multitasking);
- Work in collaboration with the different trades (Ex: art, animation, programming);
- Ability to learn and share knowledge;
- Maturity in giving and receiving constructive criticism.
MOTIVATION & INTERESTS:
- Ambition and passion for video games are essential!